14 October 2009

Interlaken, Switzerland

The group of canyoners

Right before I jumped off

It was really scary!

In the Alps

The guides told me to "look cool and say hi to mom"...I was positively scared out of my mind!

This past weekend Jenae and I traveled about 5 hours by train to Interlaken, Switzerland. A town built for people like Scotty, all they have there is adventure sports basically. They have rafting, canyoning, hang gliding, skydiving, parasailing, hiking, biking, all sorts of adventures in the Swiss Alps. We were supposed to go on an 8 hour canyoning adventure, but unfortunately due to a lot of rain and the canyon we were supposed to go into being very narrow, we had to go on the shorter excursion instead. I felt bad because Jenae had already done the shorter canyon a few years ago, but she went again and still had fun.

Canyoning, for those who aren't aware, is a mix of rappelling, zip line riding, cliff jumping, swimming, and going on rock slides! It was super fun but also really stressful because the rocks are quite slippery and I am mildly afraid of heights, so rappelling down cliffs is frightening. Also, they are really particular about where and how you jump into the water so as not to hit the bottom or catch a rock on the way down. The Alp water was a bit chilly, but my body stayed relatively warm underneath a wet suit, 2 jackets, a life vest, water shoes, and a helmet. It was really really fun and a definite energy rush to jump off cliffs into the water! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! Meghan,I am so happy that you get to experience all of this! I want to jump off cliffs too! But aren't you supposed to be "studying" abroad? :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete